Please click all the links we offer and don't forget 'no link is an island'; each page you visit may have many more links to try, and always read the comments to see what other people think.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Are you considering quitting?

When thinking about leaving a job there are a few things to consider. Many of which probably run through your mind night and day. But there are a few things you may not have thought through, and some you don't know how to resolve.


odd job, weird job, unusual job, strange job, unusual career, esoteric career, unconventional job, unconventional career, different job, fun job, better job, profession, vocation, occupation, trade, metier, role, job hunt, job search, career change, skills, networking, nine to five, 9 to 5, rat race, work life balance, employee, employer, job seeker, great work, love your work, entrepreneur, Career plan, business plan, livelihood, lifework,  craft, graft, CV, resume, cover letter, job application
Get your wings
First up, are you sure leaving is the right option? Think clearly about your job. Are there any ways to make your current job more enjoyable or to change your role in ways that benefit both you and your company? That's not always possible in a small company or a huge company with clearly defined departments so maybe it is time to weigh up the risks?


Perhaps you can use your current job to fund a future change in your life. Maybe you can find some time outside work to prepare yourself for a change. You can prepare a home office space ready for when you make the change. At the very least you can dream.


If you are feeling that leaving is the best option, make sure you have considered what quitting would really mean for you. Then when you've made the decision think about how to approach your boss.


If it's just the office and commute you want to quit, here are some tops home based jobs (from the USA).


Take a leaf out of the books of people who have already made the switch, even under difficult circumstances.




Finally, on a personal note, my biggest regret is that many years ago I thought my job was going nowhere and applied for some other jobs. I was offered a job in a company that wasn't really in my industry, but paying a bit more so I accepted. I told me boss and he was a bit upset that I was leaving, and told me had hoped I would stay and move through the company. I hated the new job and a few months later a former colleague moved from my old company and I subsequently learned my old boss had been hoping I would take on that role. My new boss was a bully and was later done for embezzlement. I ended up with smashed confidence and phobia of new jobs! I just wish I had talked to my boss before quitting, he might have been able to help me prepare for taking on that other role. So don't be shy, approach your boss or a sympathetic senior colleague before you start sending applications out.


And don't forget, no link is an island. If you  clicked one of our links, look around that site for more info and advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do let me know what you think. Please remember that the blog can be viewed by people of all ages and that I am just one person so may take a little while to get to your comment. Thank you for your support.