Please click all the links we offer and don't forget 'no link is an island'; each page you visit may have many more links to try, and always read the comments to see what other people think.

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Dream Job - Musician/Label Owner


Who do you work for? What is your job? Where do you work? 
I run my own label, Round Records, which was set up specifically to release my own music and that of The Wildhearts. We occasionally release albums by friends of ours too.

gig, music, sing, record label, professional musician



How did you start in this line of work?

Frustration at how restricting record labels can be for certain artists, such as myself. This way I get to say 'yes' to all my crazy ideas.

How did you find out about the job? Or where did you get the idea?
After being in the music industry I figured out that any record company is simply a system of delegated jobs, like marketing, press and distribution. Once I figured this out it made sense to put my discoveries into practice.

How did you get the job?

I asked the boss to hire me and I said yes.

What do you do on an average day?

Dream about the future and thank God for the present, a result of being screwed in the past.

What hours do you work?

Twenty four.

What’s the best part of the job?

Seeing the Round Records logo on the back of any release is still a thrill, but the greatest thing has to be writing songs that I know will be released without any resistance from the MD of a label.

And the worst?

There is no worst, this is a dream come true.

What can you not do your job without - Qualifications, licences, insurance, comfy shoes, eye for detail, sense of humour?
The ability to start and finish with grace and calm.

How much initial investment did you have to spend to get started in your career?

I invested years of experience into this venture. Money is fresh air without knowledge.

How does the pay and career path compare to other people you know? Can you support yourself, a family, a house on the income from this work?

Yeah, I do fine. A damn sight better than I ever did on a major label. In fact I now realise how much money the labels I've been involved with have taken from me.

Does your organisation ever advertise for staff? Where?

We tend to employ people we know and believe will do the best job.

Have you ever seen other jobs like yours advertised? Where?

Nope.

at would you be doing if not in this line of work?

Arguing with a record company about why something that sounds good is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do let me know what you think. Please remember that the blog can be viewed by people of all ages and that I am just one person so may take a little while to get to your comment. Thank you for your support.